As a trucking company, we know that pedestrians are at risk anytime they’re sharing the road with vehicles. That’s why we want to do our part to raise awareness of the dangers pedestrians face and provide some tips on how to stay safe.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 6,516 pedestrians were killed and an estimated 55,000 pedestrians were injured nationwide in 2020. That’s why it’s so important for pedestrians to be aware of their surroundings and take precautions when walking near traffic.
Here are some tips for drivers:
– Be aware of your surroundings and always yield to pedestrians, even if they’re not in a designated crosswalk.
– Drive slowly and be extra cautious in areas where pedestrians are more likely to be present, such as near schools and parks.
– Use extra caution when making turns, especially at intersections where pedestrians might be crossing.
– Be patient and allow pedestrians plenty of time to cross the street.
– Never honk your horn at a pedestrian, as this can startle them and cause them to lose focus on their surroundings.
Here are some tips on how to stay safe as a pedestrian:
– Be visible. Wear bright colors or reflective clothing so drivers can see you.
– Walk on a sidewalk or path whenever possible. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic so you can see oncoming vehicles.
– Don’t drink and walk. Alcohol impairs your ability to make good decisions and can make you less visible to drivers.
– Pay attention to your surroundings. Put away your phone and other distractions so you can focus on walking safely.
When it comes to pedestrian safety, we all have a role to play. By being cautious and attentive on the road, we can help make our community safer for everyone.
We want everyone to be safe on the roadways, so we encourage all drivers to be aware of pedestrians and to always follow the posted speed limit. Thank you for helping to keep our roads safe!