Fuel efficiency is an important factor in running a successful fleet. Rising prices and inflation can create a significant financial burden on fleets, making it difficult to stay afloat. While there are no magic solutions, there are ways you can improve your fleet’s fuel efficiency and help reduce costs.
Truckers must be savvy about how they spend money on diesel. Here are a few tips to help them save:
Plan ahead of time.
- Knowing when and where you need to fill up can help you plan your route more efficiently and save time and money in the process. Look for areas with lower fuel costs, such as those near truck stops or refineries.
Use online tools to compare fuel prices in different areas.
- There are several websites and apps that can provide pricing information for various locations, so you can compare costs before you fill up and save money on diesel.
Purchase a fuel card.
- Purchase a fuel card. These cards allow you to purchase fuel at a discounted rate, so you can save money on diesel when you use them.
Monitor your speed.
- Driving at a moderate speed (65 mph or less) will help cut down on fuel costs. It may take longer to get from point A to point B, but it’s worth it in the end.
Keep your engine in good condition.
- Regular maintenance and tune-ups will help ensure that your truck is running at peak efficiency, which means you’ll use less fuel over time
- Shore power is a cost-effective, easy way to save on fuel and lower emissions. By utilizing truck stop electricity (TSE), drivers can help cool their vehicles while they take a break, instead of idling the engine and burning through fuel.
Avoid revving the engine.
- Instead of quickly shifting gears, gradually change gear while accelerating. This will reduce strain on the engine and also save you money in the long run.
Use cruise control.
- Cruise control allows for smoother acceleration and can help improve your car’s fuel economy. It can also help reduce driver fatigue on long trips and make it easier to keep up with the speed limit.
With some simple adjustments, it is possible to reduce your fleet’s fuel costs and help combat inflation. By following these tips, you can ensure your fleet runs efficiently and save money in the long run.