In the United States today, our nation is home to more than 18 million veterans, and an astonishing 25% of them have found their calling as truck drivers. That’s 1 in 4 veterans! With the current surge in demand for truck drivers across the country, a new opportunity beckons for U.S. military veterans to embark on careers as professional drivers. This transition offers a wealth of advantages, both for veterans and the trucking companies that enlist them.
Trucking firms are going the extra mile to entice veterans into their ranks, offering competitive salaries and enticing perks. Beyond the financial incentives, a career in trucking promises stability and the chance to traverse the nation with a predictable schedule. The industry also opens doors to potential growth, whether through salary increases, route changes, or the pursuit of becoming an Owner Operator.
“I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country.”
For trucking companies, veterans are prized assets due to their unwavering work ethic. These individuals are renowned for their reliability, effective communication, and exceptional work ethic, cultivated through their military service. Veterans are accustomed to handling adversity, thriving under pressure, and undertaking substantial tasks. In addition to their exceptional work ethic, veterans possess valuable expertise, often boasting prior driving experience. Studies by trucking experts have revealed that veteran truck drivers:
- Recorded 42% fewer accidents.
- Drove 98% more miles than their non-veteran counterparts.
- Experienced a remarkable 68% fewer ‘involuntary terminations.
For more on this study, visit usmilitary.com
“The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated [this ground], far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.”
A multitude of motivations lead veterans to choose careers in trucking. For many, it offers an opportunity for healing and reflection while traversing the open road. Others are drawn to the profession by the promise of a dependable job and income to support their families. LGT takes immense pride in supporting our veteran truck drivers and extends our heartfelt wishes for a safe and joyous Veterans Day.
“Whatever gains are secured, it is loss the veteran remembers most keenly. Only a fool or a fraud sentimentalizes the merciless reality of war.”
Quick Facts on U.S. Veterans:
- As of April 2021, there were 19 million living veterans who had served during at least one war.
- Women constitute 11% of the veteran population.
- Approximately 5.9 million veterans served during the Vietnam War.
- The Gulf War era saw service from 7.8 million veterans.
- In 2021, out of the 16 million Americans who served during World War II, about 240,000 were still alive.
- About 933,000 veterans served during the Korean War.
- In 2021, the top three states with the highest percentage of veterans were Alaska, Virginia, and Montana.
For even more facts, visit: History.com
“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them.”
Please take a moment today to remember what our veteran’s have sacrificed for you to have the life you have today! Liquid Trucking is proud to employ many veteran’s and we say “Thank you for your service.”